Meat Bird, how long should I raise her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrserv0n, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mrserv0n

mrserv0n Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    My wife accidently bought a meat bird along with a mix of normal chickens, Well this thing is a sweetie, but its only 7 weeks old and I kid you not it weighs as much as 2 bricks or more. I would keep it and take care of it with the rest of my pet chickens but after research I hear by 9-12 weeks it starts to become really painful for the chicken to be alive.

How long should I let my meat bird live before I take it to a farm to be turned into a meal? I am willing to put in the extra effort and care for it even though it can barely walk, its legs are like tree trunks its discusting. But I don't want it to suffer if its genetically designed to die 7 weeks after birth.

So whats the right thing to do for this bird?

Thanks

2. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    It wasn't designed to live very long. It will either have a heart attack or something.... as it's organs start to shut down.

i would make a meal out of it soon.

3. mrserv0n

mrserv0n Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Thought so, Ok thanks Ill find a farm in the area to drop it off.

4. glucke

glucke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    cornish rock chicken? I really hate to say this... but i would send it to freezer-camp. commercially they are processed at about 42 days. yes, it's sad but they are incredibly tasty!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  5. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Why don't you keep it and eat it?

6. StephanieH

StephanieH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    If you do "drop it off" make sure it's with the farmer's okay! I didn't realize what issues could arise from animals abandoned on farms until talking to some local farmers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by