meat bird order any input

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickenfanatic, Aug 3, 2008.

1. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    ok here the deal we are getting ready to do a broiler order and have before but this time we figured we would gather input see if we can figure out the best breed,place to buy, prices etc, any input is appreciated:) [​IMG]

2. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I'm ordering 100 colored rangers from JM Hatchery tmorrow! 40 cost the same as 100, so I'm hoping to sell half or so to locals to get the bulk rate... or else I'll be going throuogh a LOOOOT of food!!!

3. chickenfanatic

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    thanks for the input keep it coming

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I only raise the colored ones from JM. A lot of people here do Cornish Crosses; but they've just never really satisfied me.

As far as Cornish Crosses go (which are the most likely broiler you will get), the breeding stock all comes from the same place. So if you order broilers from one hatchery, they're very likely identical to those at another hatchery since they buy them as hatching eggs.

5. chickenfanatic

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    thanks for the info greyfield but who has the best prices?

6. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    there will be a lot of variables as to who has the best price. Location and shipping can add on a lot.

I got my meat monsters from Welp. I have not lost one *knock on wood* and will start butchering them a few at a time tomorrow and over the next week or so. I went with welp as the price includes shipping. But that being said, I am sure if I had wanted more birds I might have been able to do cheaper elsewhere- etc.

Having 20 of the poop machines, I can't even fathom having to feed and clean up after 100 of them!

7. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    as greyfields said, with the cornish, the best bet is to use a hatchery closest to you so that they have the least amount of time in transit. i personally don't like to pay more than a $1 per chick, but if i have to, i'll just buy more and sell some at my feed store which helps cut down the cost of my chicks.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    The best prices I've found for Cornish X's from the big 3 hatcheries, Ideal, MMH, and Meyer is Meyer. I'm getting 50 in on Sept 17th and they cost .86 each before shipping.

OK Greyfields what's the difference between the colored ones and the cornish X's? Flavor? growth time? I'm planning on doing this often, so I want to know what you think so maybe I'll give those a try and let the customer decide.

9. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i'm not greyfields but i'll jump in also...

the colored broilers have more dark meat and are ready to be processed at around 10-12 weeks. you'll probably get about 4-5 lbs after processing. they range more than the cornish so you'll probably get more flavor.

the cornish will be ready for processing around 6-8 weeks. some people wait till 10 weeks. others have been able to keep them longer but they'll usually start showing alot of stress the longer you keep them after 10 weeks. processing at 6-8 weeks, depending on what you fed them, they'll process from 4-6 pounds. i know others that have kept them longer and got 7-8 pound birds, processed. these guys have more breast meat and forage less, or none at all in some cases.

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, that's what I wondered. I put mine in the chicken tractor and move it everyday and pull their food at 7pm so I do get mine to free range a bit. Either that or they don't eat until 7 am. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by