Meat bird origens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bachbach1, Aug 8, 2013.

1. bachbach1

bachbach1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    I have been studying this in detail, and have even gotten into some patents on these CX birds. The largest problem is that even if you have the linage and the process it is so deep. Like for an example you breed a complex, muti linage base stock, and then have a completely different hen and rooster. Then their grand parents, and great grand parents can be bread to us as CX parents. There is a separate linage for the final hen you use, and a completely separate linage for the rooster. Even with the right info it takes years to come up with the parent stock to produce the CX offspring. All patents are public information, and the information is there. The problems are the time it would take to set all this up, and the fact that it is illegal to use, make, or possess any thing that is protected by patents. So far be it from me to suggest that anyone violate any of these rules. Still beyond that I have found the patents are in various names, then probably assigned to company's with contracts, that are not public knowledge, so another veil over the process. There is no way to cross reference these names, except for getting into a database of the patents a breeder holds, and to then look up the patents by their numbers. All in all if you wanted to try to breed the CX yourself, with about 2 years of patent research, and another 8 years of breeding you might pull off producing an illegal bird, that is with luck. From all of my research a a cross of a male large breasted Cornish strain and a female of a tall, large-boned strain of white Plymouth Rocks is an easy everyday meat chicken. These were used extensively before the newer hybrids were developed, a poor mans CX, or should I say above average meat chicken. It wont be as fast growing as the CX, but it wont have the health problems, and you can produce it yourself. This hybrid is the base the CX is built on from all of my research. So I am going to give the cornish rooster, and a plymouth rock hen cross a try and see how it works.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Best wishes with that. Animal breeding does get amazingly deep, and chickens are among the most complex livestock I've ever studied, but sheep are right up there too...

I prefer mongrel birds with some bantam mixed in. They are extremely feed efficient, hardy, well fleshed at every age (you can literally eat them at a few weeks old or younger if you prefer) and I like the tenderness, juicy, well flavored meat you get despite free ranging them. I crossed many mongrel lines to achieve a flock I'm pretty satisfied with the dual purpose abilities of. But I don't mind darker more gelatinous meat, whereas some folk like it white and drier. So each to their own.

I think it's tripe people can 'patent' animal genetics or any naturally occurring genetics. They ought to have altered it through means other than mere breeding before they can patent it. Some recent court cases decided human genes that naturally occur can't be patented, thankfully. Insane world. I expect older animal genetic line patents to be revoked in future.

3. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    good luck finding that cornish rooster.

I don't think it's as far 'complicated' as you think it is-- the production of the modern day CX bird. It's simple- many years ago a Cornish was bred to a white rock- and during the last 60 years a few other 'things' have been incorperated into them. During the past 60 years tons of genetic advancement have been made, and literally billions of breeder birds have been gone through. Doesn't take much time to make rapid changes when billions of breeders are used and selected. Only takes one pair, with hatching every egg from them--- and on and on-- before you have tons of birds. The final product, like you say-- is in fact a hybrid- 4 way cross...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by