Meat bird stench

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moodusnewchick, Aug 16, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I'm trying to figure out if it would be less or more stinky to raise meat birds in the colder temps. Currently I only have six rangers, they are four weeks, their poo stench is definitely noticeable over the layers. I raised four broilers prior to this and found the same issue. Do you think the stench would be less in the winter with poo staying colder (or less noticeable) or worse since it's not soaking in the ground as much, or just the same? I really want to plan my next meat bird order, I like being able to go to the freezer and pull out my own supply!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I raise them in the fall. The colder nights does help with the smell. They make such a mess and have so much poop!

3. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    MissPrissy,
    I'm sure you've noted this elsewhere...do you raise the Cornish X or the rangers? Or something else?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have always done the cornish crosses. Last year i did the jumbo cornish cross from MM. LOVE them. will be doing them again this fall.

I know many people say they hate the cornish x but I happen to like them. They are docile and sweet birds.

5. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    we will be getting 25 Cornish X Sept 8th or so, and here in WV it can be chilly in Oct and downright cold in Nov ( this crazy weather tho, it might be warm) I am planning on a simple plywood frame box about 12X12 with tin roof for them, as our current coop/run is only big enough for the 11 layers we have.
    do you think that this will be big and warm enough? also would they need a run? I can add a heater for warmth, but am not sure as to the size and activity of them.
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by