1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

meat bird verses egg birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by worknprogress, Sep 21, 2008.

1. worknprogress

worknprogress In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2008
    Do any of you eat your egg birds once they quit laying?

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Songster

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I have, but I have a soft spot in my heart for my hardworking girls. I now let them stick around and just be chickens after their peak laying is over. They are not much trouble to feed, but if I was really worried about feed conversion and cost, I guess I would butcher them.

3. worknprogress

Sep 19, 2008
    Since we can only have four chickens (I'm hoping since they haven't even passed that ordinance yet) I will need to be able to keep only egg laying chickens around.

I was figuring on having two chickens the first year and then getting tow the next year so they don't all quit laying at the same time.

Then I thought with all these forums topics on meat birds that maybe egg laying hens weren't good to eat.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't know what I'll do when they don't lay anymore. I have such a soft spot for my original 20! I think I'll let them free range, and if a predator gets them he gets them, but at least they'll be able to stick around. If the cost of feed gets too high I'll cull them. I don't know! I haven't crossed that bridge yet!

5. worknprogress

Sep 19, 2008
    First of all, I agree that Jesus is Lord!

Second I don't know how I will feel when it comes to that point either. I always fall in love with my animals but we already have a zoo! With the limit of four hens I don't feel like I have a choice. I am doing this to help animals in the first place. If it comes to the point where I have four hens who don't lay eggs I will have to go back to buying the store eggs where the chickens have been abused.

I am not some animal rights activist who doesn't think we should eat meat or use animal products but I do think that they should have a good life.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast Proverbs 12:10

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: