1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meat birds and egg layers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Big C, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Hello everyone, new here and my first post.
    Apologize if this has been asked/answered previously but did not find it.

We are in the process of building a coop to house approx 20 layers and 20 meat birds with runs. Is it advisable to keep the layers seperate from the meat birds?
    Would appreciate any advice.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I think you might. One needs different food than the other. Meaters don't need roost either. Others can help you more with this I am sure. Jean

PS Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! You will find lots of answers here ----- AND lots of questions that you never thought to ask!!

Yes, I think that you will want to separate your layers from your meat chickens. Layers need more specialized care. Meat chickens mature faster.
    They need different food and roosts.

Again -- welcome -- no question is too dumb!!

Cindy

4. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Thanks Jean and Cindy,
    Should have realized this from the feed requirements of both...
    It's been 20 years since we had our last flock.

Thanks for the welcome.

5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Meaties will get pecked by the hens and roos.

Best to keep them separated.

6. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We always order the Broilers with other breeds in the spring. We keep them together for the first three weeks. After the second or third week they start to hog the feeders and the other breeds can't keep up. We then move them to a portable chicken tractor because they eat and poop more. We fill their feeders in the morning and evening until they are 7 weeks. We then take their feeders away at night but always have water available to them. This is what has worked best for us raising them. They are not your "standard breed of chicken". We will use lime to put over the area their portable pen was on to help with the smell and break it down better. It is not normal chicken poo !! But they are sure worth time and effort when they are ready to process.[​IMG] Good luck and welcome to BYC !!!!

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They should be given a different ration, so generally they are not housed together.

You can only let them share a brooder for about the first two weeks. By that time, the broilers will have doubled the others in size and will start to trample.

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG]

I also will brood together for 2 weeks (I give them both turkey starter more protein)

then meat birds go outside in tractor they do poop TO MUCH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by