Meat birds and egg layers

Big C

J & C Farms
11 Years
Dec 15, 2008
Vernon Texas
Hello everyone, new here and my first post.
Apologize if this has been asked/answered previously but did not find it.

We are in the process of building a coop to house approx 20 layers and 20 meat birds with runs. Is it advisable to keep the layers seperate from the meat birds?
Would appreciate any advice.

I think you might. One needs different food than the other. Meaters don't need roost either. Others can help you more with this I am sure. Jean

PS Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! You will find lots of answers here ----- AND lots of questions that you never thought to ask!!

Yes, I think that you will want to separate your layers from your meat chickens. Layers need more specialized care. Meat chickens mature faster.
They need different food and roosts.

Again -- welcome -- no question is too dumb!!

Cindy

Thanks Jean and Cindy,
Should have realized this from the feed requirements of both...
It's been 20 years since we had our last flock.

Thanks for the welcome.

We always order the Broilers with other breeds in the spring. We keep them together for the first three weeks. After the second or third week they start to hog the feeders and the other breeds can't keep up. We then move them to a portable chicken tractor because they eat and poop more. We fill their feeders in the morning and evening until they are 7 weeks. We then take their feeders away at night but always have water available to them. This is what has worked best for us raising them. They are not your "standard breed of chicken". We will use lime to put over the area their portable pen was on to help with the smell and break it down better. It is not normal chicken poo !! But they are sure worth time and effort when they are ready to process.
smile.png
Good luck and welcome to BYC !!!!

They should be given a different ration, so generally they are not housed together.

You can only let them share a brooder for about the first two weeks. By that time, the broilers will have doubled the others in size and will start to trample.

Back
Top Bottom