Meat birds aren't eating

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mommy of 1, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Mommy of 1

Mommy of 1 New Egg

Jun 4, 2014
    This is about turkey's. I know this is a chicken forum but I thought since they're poultry that maybe someone on here would know something. I got 27 commercial turkeys about a month ago. When the farmer told me not to eat them for at least 10 weeks I had to ask why because some of them were already plump enough to feed my family of three. Apparently commercial poultry is fed a mix that contains arsenic from birth up until 5 weeks before they're dressed. Of course I was mortified so within 48 hours I had purchased natural food to take place of their steady diet of poison. Within 8 hours of switching it out I lost almost half. I hadn't thought about it at the time but apparently I should have mixed it and gradually taken them off of it. So now I'm a month in and I've lost two more in the last three days. They've been eating like no other and drinking 5 gallons of water every two days. I'm down to 13 now and they seem to have quit eating. I was filling their feed up two to three times a day and now it's about once every two days. I have a heat lamp on them and check and check them regularly. Does anyone have any suggestions? By the begining of December they should be ready to dress but they won't be at this rate. I'm afraid I'll loose them all and I've put a good amount of money into having healthier meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by