Meat birds as quality family time... REALLY! *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by menageriemama, Aug 13, 2008.

1. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    My kids help out with pretty much everything around here, they won't settle for anything else. Helping me process our meat birds gives them a sense of pride and ownership. I do not force them to help, they just do because they want to be a part of our family activities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thats that! We work together as a family in all that we do, and man is that awesome!!!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    That's great! that's how it would be here if my dh wanted to do the birds. he didn't so we sent them out.

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Great work! Your kids will be more appreciative of the food on your table because of their experience. [​IMG]

4. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    That is really great! Family time is the best time! [​IMG]

PS... That bird looks wonderful! I wish this computer came with some way to smell food pictures - LOL!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    not only will they learn to appreciate the work of preparing food, spend time together as a family, but they will know how to do for themselves. a blessing that so many kids miss out on!

good for you and oh my word, i cannot wait for my meat birds to be ready!

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the family time and teaching yor children valuable life lessons.

By the way, what is so graphic about yoru images... The tattoos? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Jim

7. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Thumbs up! Will

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Wonderful looking bunch of kids, workmanship, growing and learning. I feel that this is the way all kids should be raised. Not everything can live forever, animals have a place in our lives and a use. Cows used to be processed in our back yards, such as deer or game birds. It is a lesson in keeping balance in the world, treat all animals respectfully, use what you need and that is it.
    When we were children, if an animal was killed you ate it, you knew how it was killed, what it looked like, anatomy lesson on cleaning it out, taught the conditions of its life. Their was always a conversation, lesson in the life cycle of the food we were about to eat.
    I think your doing a great job allowing your children to learn what goes on the table, they had chores with those birds I'm sure, look how much more is knowleged is in your family!
    GREAT JOB.

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    What a great job they were doing! Those birds were amazing! What kind were they? How old? I am new at this, and just think they looked so fat and healthy! Also, any prep like brining or setting up in the fridge for a day or so?

My kids will be involved in all parts, also. I think it builds character and helps them appreciate the life those birds lived and where there food "really" comes from.

Kudos to you![​IMG]

Shelly

10. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    That is great! I wish that I could do that.. but sadly, I get too attached to them. But never say never!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by