Meat birds BESIDES Cornish X??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 1stepcloser, Jan 8, 2010.

1. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    I was reading that there are good meat birds out there that are not susceptible to frame problems, heart attacks, etc. but I can't remember what they are called. [​IMG] Can anyone help me out?

2. mountainpridefarm

mountainpridefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    The last few weeks of my spare time has been devoted to finding the best meat breed that is not a CornishX. I have found Dark Cornish, and White Rocks. Both carry some of the characteristics of the crosses just not as severe. You will find that these breeds will be hardly comparable with growth rates some taking up to three times as long. In the long run you may be making a better choice and you are able to sustain a meat flock within your farm if that is important to you.

I have however think I have found my bird. Buff Orpingtons - though I have been told on this forum that it takes at least a year before an orp can be dress at about 4 lbs I have had others tell me and show me that it was done in 18 weeks with the excess Roos. The hens are quite nice layers, even in the cold. I however really was going to be purchasing production egg layers as well, I have decided on a DP. If they can show to be what they are supposed to be than I think I have found the right bird!

3. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2007
    Georgia
    Check out the Freedom Ranger meaties at J.M. Hatchery. He has the genetics that are used in the Label Rouge program in France.
    http://www.jmhatchery.com

4. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Thank you folks!!! [​IMG]

5. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Freedom Rangers get my vote...hands down! [​IMG] I raised some last year and plan on getting more this year. They're totally awesome...they actually act like normal chickens. You only have to grow them 2 weeks longer than the Cornish.

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by