1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meat birds.. Feed??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cowgirl4Christ, Jan 6, 2015.

1. cowgirl4Christ

cowgirl4Christ New Egg

Jan 1, 2015
    Southern California
    So I'm getting six meat chickens very soon.... I was wondering what I should feed them as chicks? Then when do I switch feed to older chicken food? And when they're older what do I feed them? -Thanks:) -Faith

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Cowgirl: I'm sold on fermented feed for both layers and meat birds. There is absolutely no waste with FF. I use Multi-flock starter-grower throughout the growth cycle for meat birds because I can't get non medicated starter in my area. If you use FF, you'll find that the meat birds won't have the disgusting runny poop that is common to meat birds.

3. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    You want a feed formulated for broilers. It will have a higher amount of protein than other growers so as to support the fast growth of your meat birds. The multi-flocks are nice but you are feeding only one specific type of fowl. You will feed the broilers that feed until they are processed. They will never be "older" chickens since they are ready to be butchered at a fairly young age.

4. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    If you wat to increase rate of gain and give them a treat you can feed oatmeal to them too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by