Meat birds have a growth on their breast/neck area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknjane, Sep 6, 2009.

1. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I have 5 meat birds that have, over the past 7-10 days, developed a golf ball sized hard lump on the right side of their necks around their breatbone. Other than not being as big as I had expected them at 4 weeks, they seem to be otherwise healthy. No apparent problems breathing, eating or moving. I've been through the chicken health handbook, but without an idea as to where to start, I just don't know what to look for to figure out what is going on with the meaties and whether or not they will be able to serve the purpose for which I had intended them.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    I could be way off, but I think that it is a swollen crop from eating so much?

I have read a few posts about how their crops are always distended from eating all the time.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I bet you are seeing the crop. They will fill up so much that they look like they are about to pop. Squish it and look at it closely, you might be able to see the feed shape through it.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Take away thier feed at sunset, and go check them at dawn tomorrow, if the "growth" is down it's the crop, if it's still hard it may be an impacted crop, which'll need care.

Let us know tomorrow, and we can help from there.

Leave them water at all times.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  5. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    Is that common for meaties? I have the five in with 10 chicks about 6 weeks old (they are all the same size) and the 10 mixed breed chicks don't have the lump.

They get their food at night but mostly free range during the day. I'll check in the morning and maybe separate them so I can better observe their food intake.

Thank for all for the quick responses.

6. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Meaties eat until it is gone. They are bred to eat, poop, eat and sleep in that order. I think it is the crop especially how likely would it be for all five to have impacted crops at the same time. All the literature says to take the feed away at night with meaties. Good luck. I just finished year 4 and I learn something new every year but you will enjoy them in the freezer.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Quite common, meaties live to stuff themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by