meat birds not growing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fowlangel52, Jun 19, 2011.

1. fowlangel52

fowlangel52 New Egg

Jun 10, 2010
    some of our chickens don't seem to be growing like the ones we had last year. do you think it could be the heat as we are in a drought area this year, i water daily, feed broiler feed but they seem to be growing really slow is there something else we can do

2. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Hello! Where did you get your meat birds? I assume they're cornish x's? Once you have 10 posts, you can post pictures, and that would help a lot. I know sometimes people buy cornish and end up with leghorns instead...

Once you get pictures up, we should be able to help!

-Jessa

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    This year for some odd reason I have seen more post about meat birds not growing, most of them finaly figured they didn't get Cornish X's from the hatchery. IDK what the deal is but there have been a few hatcheries that have been shipping the wrong birds or a substandard variety of meat birds. As you mentioned there is realy no doubt when you see a true meat bird grow, they just take off and gain very well very fast. Perhaps they messed up your order, and since you have had them before and know how to care and feed them out, that is a none issue. Call the Idiots at the hatchery and see if by chance they will admit their mistake and send you the right birds. I wish you good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by