Meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Nimblefreckle, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Nimblefreckle

Nimblefreckle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    I have a barred rock rooster and some buff orpington hens. Would that be a good somewhat fast growing bird for butchering? Has anyone ever done that cross?
    I am looking to hatch out and raise some meat birds of our own to cut down on costs
    and to know exactly what my birds have had.

I also have a question about the cornish cross. I had a batch this past spring/summer that when butchered they were all over 5-6 lbs. The next batch were only 4 lbs butchered out.
    I bought them from different places. Would that make a difference in the size? They were all cornish cross cockerals.

2. Cedarknob

Cedarknob Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Western IL
    Both breeds mentioned are excellent dual purpose breeds if bred to the SOP, and the PBRs grow relatively fast; however, those coming from hatcheries are usually smaller and less meaty than those coming from good breeders.

CX can vary even in batches from the same hatchery, but some strains do seem to better than others. I really liked those that I got from Schelchts, and their prices were great.

3. Nimblefreckle

Nimblefreckle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    I am not familiar with the abreviations you mentioned. Can you clarify?

4. Cedarknob

Cedarknob Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Western IL
    SOP = standard of perfection
    PBR = Plymouth Barred Rock
    CX = Cornish Cross, though it's an antiquated term still used to describe white, commercial broilers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by