Meat Birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by griddles, Jun 24, 2007.

1. griddles

griddles Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    I recently got 7 chicks at the feed store. All the guy could tell me was they were "meat birds". What does this mean? Like cornish?

2. Pekin Hen

Pekin Hen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    South Africa
    Hi , I'm not sure but i think that "meat birds" are birds that can give a lot of meat , they are a bit bigger than bantams , when you kill them. I think they can make a pretty good dinner if you want , when they are adults!

Annette.

3. griddles

May 11, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    Does this mean they wont lay? [​IMG]

4. Pekin Hen

Pekin Hen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    South Africa
    No, they will lay, if they are hens, it just means that when they are culled they are very tasty and it will be alot of meat.

Annette.

5. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Most likely your "meat birds" are Cornish X's-- they are specifically bread to grow very fast & be harvested at 8-12 weeks or so. They grow so large that they have health problems & usually do not survive very long. They might lay if they make it that far, but they are not "layers" & no one would choose them for egg production. Your best bet is to take them to be processed when they're a good size, put them in the freezer & start over with known laying breeds.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you want eggs, return them this instant! They are meant to be eaten at about 2 months like michellererene said and often have leg and health problems. They don't act like normal chickens and will be about 7-8 lbs alive by butcher time.

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Just because they are meat birds does not mean they have to be eaten. I have one named Drumstick who I was going to butcher, but I fell in love with him. I got him as a chick in Late August I believe, and he is still alive and flies 4 feet up to roost. I have never limited his food either. He doesnt breed the hens as easily as my other roos, but he gets around just fine. Being a Cornish X isnt a death sentence. [​IMG]

If they are females and make it to the right age, then I see no reason for them not to lay eggs. They wont live as long as other chickens, but I find them to be a whole lot sweeter. Its your choice of course, but dont think you HAVE to take them back, because they can live longer than 8-12 weeks.

8. griddles

May 11, 2007
    Northern Wisconsin
    I will have to wait and see then, its not really that I wanted egg production but for pets, hens for my sweet roo. Thats all. I figured they were cornish x. I will see how they are doing in a couple months.[​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck with them! Hope it works out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by