meat breeds

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Pops2, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Pops2

Pops2 Out Of The Brooder

i've skimmed through every page and every topic that obviously applied to squabs for meat.
    so just to verify there are giant breeds that are not necessarily good for squabs because of low reproduction rates the runt being the main one, what if any are the others in this class?
    the squab producing breeds i have identified are
    giant homer
    carneau
    mondains
    utility kings
    texas pioneer
    are there any others?

what are the relative merits of each breed (how do they compare to each other)?
    what are the conversion rates?
    what is the prolifacy?
    what is the productive life of a hen?
    if a bird is lost, how long will it take the survivor to pair bond again?
    what is the dress weight?
    what is the dress percentage?
    how effective is termal crossing?
    what terminal crosses have produced well?
    would any of these breeds work in a sort of free range environment (i would be okay with the adults flying up to 2 miles away as this would keep them within the boundaries in which they could not be legally shot at)?

thank you in advance.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    There is one called California King that is ready in 28 days and a fellow I know has done well with them. I am not real familiar with them personally.

3. franciscreek

franciscreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Northern California
    The Hubble or Huble fit into that criteria. Several breeders use them for fosters for the large utility show birds

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we keep swiss mondains, but the starin we have is exhibition strain, growth rate from this line is slow. I found that the crosses with racers actually grow a lot quicker, although not as big, it's still a better way for us to get squabs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by