Meat Chicken feed question

4H-Mom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Rolla, Mo
Ok this has prolly already been answered but I need help. I bought some cornish cross for my daughter at Oscheln's. I bought thier game bird starter that is 22% feed. The I realized that Purina game bird starter is 30% feed. Which should I buy? The Purina at 30% or the Country Lane at 22%. These birds are for a 4H fair & will be shown July 22-23. I can buy the 2 feeds & mix them if that is better. I thought I had seen somewhere that a 26% feed was best. I am confused & just need to help educate my daughter also. I will be her poultry leader next year & really have been for the past 2 years even though someone else has been her official leader. Thank you for your help.

Yes a 22 % protein feed is best in my opinion, they do very well on it. A higher feed % will surely cause early losses in broilers, the 26-30% feeds are mainly for other uses in birds that don't have the broiler problems.

AL

We are trying to get them to a heavy weight by July 22nd. They will be sold at a 4H auction a few days later. & then if we wind up keeping them like last year they will be butchered that Sunday. The Grand Champion birds hit about 8 pounds or better by thier 8th week. Thank you for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom