Meat Chicken feed question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 4H-Mom, May 28, 2010.

1. 4H-Mom

4H-Mom In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Rolla, Mo
    Ok this has prolly already been answered but I need help. I bought some cornish cross for my daughter at Oscheln's. I bought thier game bird starter that is 22% feed. The I realized that Purina game bird starter is 30% feed. Which should I buy? The Purina at 30% or the Country Lane at 22%. These birds are for a 4H fair & will be shown July 22-23. I can buy the 2 feeds & mix them if that is better. I thought I had seen somewhere that a 26% feed was best. I am confused & just need to help educate my daughter also. I will be her poultry leader next year & really have been for the past 2 years even though someone else has been her official leader. Thank you for your help.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Brunty Farms reccomends no more then 22% protien too high and they can grow to fast and have leg and heart problems....

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes a 22 % protein feed is best in my opinion, they do very well on it. A higher feed % will surely cause early losses in broilers, the 26-30% feeds are mainly for other uses in birds that don't have the broiler problems.

AL

4. 4H-Mom

4H-Mom In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Rolla, Mo
    We are trying to get them to a heavy weight by July 22nd. They will be sold at a 4H auction a few days later. & then if we wind up keeping them like last year they will be butchered that Sunday. The Grand Champion birds hit about 8 pounds or better by thier 8th week. Thank you for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by