Meat chicken tractor and mosquito's

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ~Wind~, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    I'm not sure If this should go in this section or the coops section or another section but since its a problem with my meaties only I'm putting it here. Feel free to move it if I'm wrong.

Okay so every morning when I go do chores when I open up our meat chicken tractor hundreds of mosquito's fly up at me. Is it normal for there to be so many mosquito's hanging around? We move our tractor once or twice a day so its not completly filthy in there but there still seems to be this big problem. Will the mosquito's harm the chickens long term? There are a few around our ducks and layers pens but thats to be expected, but in the meaties tractor its insane. You have to open the lid and run away or get eaten alive every morning. Once its open I have to do all the other chores before its safe to go feed and water the meaties. Its mostly just a problem first thing in the morning.

Any one else with this problem?

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    When we had some sever flooding I had standing water for close to 2 months. the mosquito's were horrible. I never saw any hanging out in the coop. My chickens spent over a month eating them.

3. SDChIcK

SDChIcK Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    I would just try to keep it clean. But I don't believe it will hurt them anyway, but they do love to eat mosquitoes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by