Meat Chickens and Egg Layers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ishism, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Yes, separate them

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Nope, you'll be butchering the meat chickens in five weeks anyway

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. ishism

ishism Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    So we have a lot of chickens. 22 meat chickens and 5 egg layers. We have had them since they were just a few days old, and now they are 5 weeks old (I think). The meat chickens easily dwarf the egg layers. Although everyone seems to be healthy, should I separate the egg layers from the meat chickens because of the size difference?? Or is it not worth the trouble because I will be butchering the meat chickens in five weeks anyway??

2. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    I have had good luck with my meaties and layers together. I see no problem letting them be together, in fact, my layers keep my meaties more active.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

X2

4. BethM

BethM Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Vermont
    I have 13 meat birds and 7 layers together and the only problem I have had is the hens picking and eating the tail feathers of the meat birds. The meaties had some fairly bad wounds by thier vents by the time I found out. Thanks to BYC I figured out what the problem was (protien deficeincy) and it's much better now. It seemed like the hens picked on the meat birds because they are slower. Other than that they are fine. I am trying to figure out what to do as the layers get older and need switch food. I am planing on getting more meat birds after we slaughter the ones we have now.

5. ishism

ishism Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    My wife and I decided to keep them together. We have not noticed any pecking issues yet

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Mine have always been in a free range situation, so it may be why it has presented no problems for me...I'm sure there are other considerations in a penned/run environment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by