1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MEAT CHICKENS

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by joyfulspirit, Aug 19, 2015.

1. joyfulspirit

joyfulspirit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    Tomahawk, WI
    Recently I had an acquaintance questions fast growing meat chickens vs the ones that take 14-16 weeks to mature and don't have all the issues the "fast growers" have. We are new to this and don't know much. I don't want to support the industry that treats chickens inhumanely -- would like to know what breeds, chickens we should look at getting next time we decide to have "meat chickens". . In 13 meat growers only one has a lame leg which I have been giving extra attention to. Didn't realize that years ago it was a standard of taking at least 14 weeks to grow to meat size. . .input would be appreciated! thanks muchs!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Cornish Cross are the super fast growing hybrids
    For a slower developing bird look at rangers, dixie rainbows, etc.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Incidentally, you can adjust your management of Cornish Cross to provide a more controlled growth rate - pasture raising them is a big plus.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Cornish cross are by far the most efficient meat chickens and if economics is the primary consideration they are the way to go. With their super fast growth rates they are ready for butchering at 8 weeks and most of the health problems occur because their owners wait too long to butcher them. If you wait much beyond 8 weeks, they will usually begin to experience serious health problems due to their abnormal growth rates. If you want birds that mature fairly fast but without the health issues of the Cornish cross, I would suggest going with Freedom Rangers (also marketed by some hatcheries as Red Rangers) which are ready for butchering at about around 10-11 weeks. They are sort of a compromise between Cornish cross and the dual purpose breeds. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your meat chickens.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. All this talk about meat birds is making me hungry.[​IMG]

6. joyfulspirit

Jul 13, 2015
    Tomahawk, WI
    Thank you soooooooooooooooo much; it eases my mind to have a "go to" place to ask questions!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

8. joyfulspirit

Jul 13, 2015
    Tomahawk, WI
    Michael, Ole Grey Mare and Drumstick I really appreciate your input, as a newbie it REALLY helps!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I don't know much about meat chickens but it seems your question has already been answered.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by