meat chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickenma, Nov 13, 2008.

1. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have bought some meat chickens . And 1 already died and there is an other one dying as wel?
    Is it normal for meat chicken to die this quick.
    They have this big bump under their breast is this normal?
    I feel sad for the bird even if I was planning to cull them for dinner. I wanted to give them a good live for as long as they would live.
    The lady I bought them from said that it was easy but if they die this fast it is not easy but hard to keep them alive. [​IMG]
    Thanks for answering my questions [​IMG]

2. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    how old are they?

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    The bump is probably due to a full crop. If they are young, really young, you will lose a couple or a few in the first week or so.

Sorry to hear that they are dying though. [​IMG]

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The "bump" is their crop. It's often mistaken for a tumor to people who haven't raised broilers before.

Broilers, unfortuntaley, are not hardy creatures. Commercial operations expect up to 25% mortality per crop. They are bred to grow quickly with little regard to disease resistance, vigor or longevity.

About all you can do is switch to a medicated feed, which contains a coccidiostat. That may curb your losses, but probably won't eliminate them.

Also, make sure they are not subject to too drastic temperature swings. If it's below 50 at night where you live, they will need plenty of heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by