Meat chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Matthew01, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Matthew01

Matthew01 Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    Just got my first batch of meat chickens. They are cronies rock and I got them 2 weeks old at tractor supply for a $1 each. Any tips and tricks let me know plz.

2. chrisxweaver

chrisxweaver Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    Feed them alot of protein Thats what will make them grow Nice and Juicy other than that just make sure they have a happy life.

3. Matthew01

Matthew01 Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    K thanks iam feeding fremented chick starter 24% protein. When do you think they can go out side.

4. Matthew01

Matthew01 Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    My tractor supply got over 500 red boilers are they good meat birds

5. twigcrafter

twigcrafter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2016
    Orange county NY
    I'm new to meatbirds.

My TSC had red broilers for 25 cents so I bought 15 then they had the Cornish X for 25cents and I bought 10.

They are much calmer than the reds. The reds are crazy. I will not feel bad about eating them.

They peck my hand when I put food in the brooder.

6. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    We also got the red rangers for 25 cents from tractor supply. Hubby would only let me get 8. He didn't want to start with a lot our first time raising for meat. These little guys are way more friendly than any of the pullets we've raised for eggs. Very docile. They are growing fast and feathering out.

7. ColoRockies

ColoRockies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    We're on week 4 with the red rangers and we're first timers. I had to convince my wife, but it only took a day haha. Went from her saying no to okay... 4. We ended up getting 12 . They outgrew the 4x4 brooderquick and are already outside. Very active and super friendly. They like the branches we put in their coop to climb and figured out the ramp in about 2 minutes. Either though they're food, we treat them like egg birds and the only advice we have is to give them a peaceful and good life. Good luck

1 person likes this.
  8. Matthew01

Matthew01 Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    K thanks good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by