meat chickens

vonkettle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 7, 2013
I have a meat chicken about 4 weeks of age. I have raised and processed my own meat chickens before this year. I know that I have had some die a couple days after I got them. This time I have been lucky. However I noticed that I have one young meat bird fatter than the rest and sits all the time. It doesn't stand and doesn't walk even if I try to push it. It flew out of my hand and landed and just laid there again and didn't move. It will jump but wont walk. Is this because she is too fat for her legs to support her. I have separated from the rest of the flock so they don't pick on her or incase something is wrong. What are your opinions?

What breed are you raising.....Cornish Rocks? If it is bigger than the rest, it could very likely be that it is growing too fast. Try not to let it fly out of your hands. The landing could make things worse if it is the legs. Is it still eating, and will it makes its way to the food and water?

Cornish Rocks grow so fast that many will start withholding feed for 8-12 hours after about 4 weeks of age to control the rate of growth, and thereby reducing risks of leg problems and heart failure, to which they are both susceptible.

If it is eating and drinking, just not moving very much compared to the others because of its legs, you might want to keep it away from the other birds, for its protection, and consider letting it get to 2 1/2 to 3 pounds live weight and process it as a Cornish hen(even if it is a Roo.)

ya they are Cornish x same as I did before it ate and it is drinking but we have to put it in front of her. I have had them die the week of butchering because they've got to fat....

If you are able to baby her as she gets bigger, of course you can keep feeding her. If were me, and she isn't walking at all, I would do the Cornish hen thing, and dispatch her. We had one with a splayed legs, and we put her in a very confined area where she could use her leg against the side of a box to move around a bit, but I butchered her about 4 weeks, when I was butchering some older birds.

Last edited:
well if she doesn't get better with walking than I might have to...I am the type of person to baby an animal and nurse them back to health....ive had a spray legged bantam chick was so hard but I was able to wrap her leg with a broken tooth pick and some horse leg tape and that did the trick

I always process them if they show any leg issues. One of my CX pullets got her leg caught in the door at 6 weeks. I processed her and it was enough to feed a family of four. No waste. If she is going to be processed, do it right away and not allow her/him to suffer.

I free range early to promote strong legs in the CX. They need to exercise to build strong legs. Mine RUN everywhere and roost, jump, etc.

0.jpg

at 12 weeks
0.jpg

at 6 weeks

mine free range as well they have been outside for about over a week they are 3 -4 weeks old.....she doesn't seem to be in pain just wont use her legs we move her from spot to spot so she can eat and drink and poop which she is doing plenty of all 3

Back
Top Bottom