Meat Chicks Pecking eachother

D SCHWARTZ 26

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2016
Hello,
This is my first time raising meat chicks and I'm having problems with them pecking eachother mostly around their oilers. What should I do? It's getting to the point where there are to many to separate them.
I have to leave the heat lamp on at night yet (I'm using a red bulb). And I've been letting them run out of feed at night so they aren't eating 24/7. Should I give them full feed all the time?
Any ideas are welcome, thanks in advance.

Hello,
This is my first time raising meat chicks and I'm having problems with them pecking eachother mostly around their oilers. What should I do? It's getting to the point where there are to many to separate them.
I have to leave the heat lamp on at night yet (I'm using a red bulb). And I've been letting them run out of feed at night so they aren't eating 24/7. Should I give them full feed all the time?
Any ideas are welcome, thanks in advance.
Sounds like an overcrowding or boredom issue, are you sure they have enough space?

How old are they---do they really need a heat lamp? I do not understand the statement---"It's getting to the point where there are to many to separate them."?

They are just over 2 weeks old. And I had been separating the ones that were getting pecked so they could heal then I am going to put them together as soon as they heal, but today when I was feeding I noticed maybe 10 that are starting to get pecked around their oilers (maybe more). And wont have room in my seperate pen for all the new pecked ones. I have 100 total in about a 4 foot by 8 foot pen.

I have noticed that if I have more than 20 in 1 pen, the pecking order gets too rough on the bottom ones. I have never tried 100 in 1 area, but I strongly suspect I would get dead chicks if I did. Sorry, I'm not an expert, and I haven't tried meat birds, but I can't imagine they'd be that different from other breeds.

I agree, it sounds like they are overcrowded. That's a small space for that many. Where do you plan to move them as they grow larger?

I gave them more space in the chicken coop yesterday and as they het older they are going to be getting an outside run. Thanks for all your help, I hope this fixes the problem.

Back
Top Bottom