Meat Duck Question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by StarLover21, Dec 7, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Okay, so I would eventually like to get some Pekin Ducks. I've heard they are the freindliest. However, I also know they are a meat bread. I'm a vegetarian, and don't eat meat, but I was just wondering if I got some, they wouldn't be unhealthy or anything if I kept them their whole life, like Cornish X aren't meant to live past processing age.
    Thanks guys!

2. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,

If you get standard Pekins you should be fine keeping them as pets. It's when you get into the Jumbo and Grimaud Hybrid Penkin that you start having leg problems. Many parks have Pekins that have been dropped off and they live for years quite happily. [​IMG]

3. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Just so. Cornish X are a HYBRID from highly bred parent lines kept under very controlled conditions that are never intended to grow to adulthood, whereas Pekins are an established pure breed, so logically, baby Pekins must come from healthy adult Pekins or there would be no more Pekins around... [​IMG]

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Okay, great!

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Pekins are just as healthy as any other duck.

Just make sure they get enough niacin and calcium while they are growing. They grow really fast.

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I rescued a couple of Pekins (long story but I have a friend that works at the Humane Society). They just came to my place to live out their lives. They both lived another 5 years from the time I got them and they were probably a year old when I got them.

Make sure they don't get overweight. They are prone to developing gout (sp?). How do I know this, well they started developing limps and my friend took one in and let the vet check her out. Gout was the diagnosis and the vet said older Pekins are very suseptible to it. I nursed them for a good year and then eventually the decision was made to put them down. It was obvious the pain was becoming very intense.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Adding to what Scooter said, Pekin ducks are greedy eaters. Mine get their feed weighed and they get the proper amount to maintain their correct weight. Treats are just that: treats. They are small bits of favorite things, not huge meal sized amounts.

My Pekin are very good at self-exercising. They are lively, but perhaps they wouldn't be if they were too fat.

My experience with Pekin is that they have lovely calm natures and are pleasant to be around. I think you will enjoy your ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by