Meat duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hilltopchicks77, Apr 23, 2017.

1. hilltopchicks77

hilltopchicks77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2016
    Anyone eat khaki campbells? We're considering eating our drake. It's 7 weeks now. I read a good age was 8-10 weeks. Is that right? Should I do anything these last couple weeks different? It's on unmedicated chick feed.

What age do you butcher a pekin? We have a few of those as well.

1 person likes this.
  2. Leave a LightOn

Leave a LightOn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
    2 people like this.
  3. hilltopchicks77

Mar 7, 2016
    Sorry I only saw chicken threads in there and I've seen people mention eating Muscovy etc in here so I thought it was ok! Thanks for the leads!

4. mlh328

mlh328 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2016
    Butte, MT
    They are many reasons for owning ducks. Mine are pets and I appreciate the benefit of fresh eggs. Raising ducks for meat is another. You know where your food comes from. You know what your food was fed and how it was treated. If I had the means I would love to be a little more self sufficient! Something special about knowing that animal didn't suffer for its entire life just to land on a table. Living conditions for a lot of the animals that provide meat to a grocery store are sad and disgusting. Keep the questions coming I say. If I'm not interested in the post I'll scroll past it.

4 people like this.
  5. Leave a LightOn

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    Quote:[​IMG] Well said!

6. hilltopchicks77

Mar 7, 2016
    Thank you. I tried to label it clearly so someone didn't click on it by accident. This would be our first meat animal so I wanted to do it right. We eat a lot of game meat but this is the first domestic animal we've had for this purpose.

1 person likes this.
  7. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    You did fine. A thread about meat ducks is entirely appropriate in this section.

8. Leave a LightOn

Apr 2, 2016
    Where the West Begins
    Agree 100%.

I purchased 7 ducklings less than 4 weeks ago. Have been reading all I can about ducks! I clicked on this thread because I too am planning on processing and consuming any drakes and the lone Pekin. Thought I'd share what I found and where I found it. Metzer link suggests ages to butcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by