Meat Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welshies, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I am so frustrated when people on BYC get mad when you even mention the slightest word about eating your duck/chicken/etc! :rant:
    Everyone has their own reasons for what they do. Eating a duck is not cruel, in fact it is much more humane than letting an injured duck suffer for months to eventually limp forever. Eating a duck is a convenient way to get rid of extra males, or wild ducks with undesirable traits like wildness, bad feathers, very few eggs, etc. Why is it that so many people think eating animals is cruel? :/
    I mean, not only is duck tasty, but by eating your older or injured ducks, you are actually cutting down on losses to predators because the predators can't dig up your buried friend in your backyard and decide they like it.
    Plus, ducks are awesome. I love them. I love my ducks! :love: But I know they are ducks, and they should be treated like ducks. They are not humans, and they're not "my babies". I do hate killing and eating the few that I do, but it is a necessary chore for many duck owners. Unfortunately, every kind of meat must die before it is eaten. Ducks are no different.
    If your ducks are raised with care, consideration, adequate space, and a run area, it doesn't matter how they are used. Raising a duck free range and then eating it is 10X more humane than keeping a duck in a coop with only 1sqft/duck and only an hour of run time a day for eggs.
    It is just so frustrating. Instead of harping on others, why can't BYC members just accept all reasons and people and get along? Let's not focus on our differences, but on what makes BYC a community: our birds. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    agree as long as they are humanely raised you can eat them or keep them in the house like a dog :)

I have 23 chickens right now. 4 of them will be food in Sept. 3 of them are total pets. The rest are just chickens :)

3. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Agreed. I try to avoid eating my ducks, but when I have an extra drake or one with undesirable traits, I have no choice. I can't stand the thought of selling them and then they aren't treated right. When we eat them, I get the taste and the ability to know everything that happens. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by