Meat / Egg layers question.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tweeter, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Tweeter

Tweeter New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    Hello, I am new to BYC and I am in the process of building my new coop. I was raised as a child on my grandparents farm with chickens and cows. Well work took me to the big city and now I have settled in the country again. I am looking to start on my chicken collection in the very near future. I just wanted to ask one question. I would like to have a good breed laying hen such as the red star or Rhode Island Red for eggs, but was wanting a good meat hen as well. I was thinking of 5-7 laying hens with a rooster of the same breed and 5-7 meat hens with one rooster of the same breed. If I coop both breeds together, will a Rhode Island Red rooster breed with a Cornish Roaster or a Jumbo X rock and vice versa? I'm new at this and will appreciate all info. Thanks!!

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Most likely you wont get any mixes of the two. Cornish X and other similar breeds are ready to eat in 2-3 months which is way before they are old enough to breed and lay eggs. Even if you did keep them until breeding age (6 months) the Cornish X roosters would be too heavy to mount on top of any of the females. And female Cornish X will probably be too big for another rooster to mount her, and they do't lay much eggs at all.

The only way the breed stays alive is through artificial insemination, because otherwise, they are too heavy to breed. Breeders inseminate them, then sell the eggs to hatcheries, which then hatch, them and sell them to feed stores and people.

The Australorp is a good dual purpose breed. It can lay as much eggs as a White Leghorn, and get to a pretty good size to eat (though not exactly as big as Cornish X)

3. Tweeter

Tweeter New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks for the info Chickeneer. I had never heard of the Australorp, but that sounds like a good bird for me. I assume that size is no issue with the Australorps when it comes to reproduction. Meaning I could keep producing baby chicks with the eggs from my original chicks/hens.

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Yes, Australorps will reproduce naturally, they're an older established breed, not a new hybrid like Cornish X. Hens can also go broody if you let them, and will hatch their own eggs. With a dual purpose breed like this, people usually keep the hens as layers, and butcher the extra roosters they don't need, and use those for the table.

5. Tweeter

Tweeter New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks for the info Chickeneer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by