MEAT GOATS

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hillside haven, Apr 5, 2009.

1. hillside haven

hillside haven Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    ohio
    I am thanking of raising goats for meat. What do they taste like and
    what breed. I have heard they taste like pork. Well they kill my trees

2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    Hey. I can't begin to answer all of your questions. I do not yet have goats but I am getting some soon. I have read boer goats are good for meat. I have never tasted goat meat but a lot of people do eat goat. Sorry I'm not much help.

3. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    Boer, Kiko, and Myotonic are the most popular. I have Boer goats but you should find out what is available in your area and check out the different breeds. They will eat your trees.

Donna

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  4. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Boers and Pygmys are the most popular for chivo/chivon in this area. Kiko are becomming more common here. They sell higher than milking goats, and are considered more valuable pound for pound.
    Goat meat chivon has a stronger flavor than beef, more like aged beef or venison. Think mutton not lamb.

They do eat trees, but aren't that hard on the environment. Goats do a lot less damage to property than sheep in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  5. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Boers are a great option, but Pygmies are good to and less expensive. Unless of course you get attatched to your animals, then maybe stay with Boers or try Spanish goats. Goats are a lot like Venison, a little milder though. They will abuse certain trees and leave others alone, some trees are toxic to them, such as oak and wild cherry. Proper fencing can save your trees though.

Chris

6. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    kikos are more resistant then boer goats disease wise i was told, but if you want to look at your goats, ie watch them kikos in the us are predominantly white, boers are mixtures of black red and white, and spanish is everything in between. personally i wouldnt go with pygmys because many people thing they are "cute" and small animals tend to wear on a persons ability to have them butchered...but thats just me.

7. hillside haven

Mar 1, 2009
    ohio
    Thank you for all the help. Well they eat walnut trees. The rest i am not worried about.

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I now that baby goats are cute and that it would by hard to look at them

9. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Back when we had land and woods the goats were great!!!! They cleaned up all the scruffy underbrush and did not touch any trees with solid trucks that were too big for them to reach the leaves.
    They loved the mulberry trees, They made walking under them easy but otherwise did not hurt them.

I have sold goats for meat but I cannot eat one of mine.... [​IMG]

10. hillside haven

Mar 1, 2009
    ohio
    Can goats a chickens be in the same 1 acre of land ok. I have 15 chickens and two turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by