meat goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by picklespickles, Oct 30, 2007.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i have babies due in march. my neighobrs are excited. i'm donating the first to the neighborhood for a bbq. goat meat is very big here. i think i will be able to sell the young ones for cabrito.

i think it will work well as
    1. it's what people want in my area
    2. they need to be young which means less feeding time so less expense involved
    3. less time for me to go oh, they're cute. oh, gee. oh, well, uh

if you have goats for meat, who do sell them to? or do you eat them all yourself?

2. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    This might not be helpful, but I raise them for 4H, going on 6 years now(of market goats). There's a large demand in our area for them as well. Initial investment is about $500 in supplies, equipment, accessories, etc. After that it's about $140 per goat to raise, unless you breed your own. I find I make quite a decent profit, even if I don't sell them at auction but take care of it privately. So good luck, if you have any questions, or want to show off pics, I'd love to talk to you and see 'em!

-Sarah

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    LOL I just get stuck on the "oh they're so cute part"...I could never eat goat now that I have pet goats! On one note, I hear they taste like they smell...but then they're so popular around the country that I figure I must have heard wrong. Dunno.

Far as the business of raising meat goats...from all I hear it's very profitable provided you take great care of your breeding stock and feed the kids properly for fast growth.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    if you live in an area where people want goats.you can make alot of money selling 40lb kids.goat meat is getting more popular.an theres not enough goats to supply the market.

5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    no pictures. there wouldn't be any auction here. just the neighborhood or possibly the next town over. you've been doing it a good while. i will definitely contact you and ask questions. [​IMG]

only intact male goats smell. it's part of their mating process and believe me, the girl goats go wild over it. there is a definite purpose for their odor. lol.

as far as not eating pets, it depends on how you go into it. i am very attached to my original stock. however, the kids i intend to eat/or increase the heard with, depending on the need at the time. it's different killing an animal when you go into it with that consideration.

my nanny, the oldest and my unabashed favorite, has an old blue recliner on my side porch that she loves to sit in. so, uh, they might be well taken care of. maybe. i have an old horrible couch that's fixing to go into the barn for the winter. and an old futon mattress the billy is getting. lol. saves me a trip to the transfer station (dump.)

latinos are a big market where i live. i have heard from others that in some places muslims are a good consumer. i also think that it will become more widespread to people who are into health as it is a good quality, healthy meat.

goats are very odd creatures. they sort of get in your blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by