1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

meat grinder/vacuum sealer

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mich9510, Feb 24, 2017.

1. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Hi everyone. I've processed a few meat birds now and would like to invest in some equipment. I need a good meat grinder. Some of my birds are close to a year old and I know they will be almost inedible they will be so tough. I thought making ground chicken would be a solution to this. I want one that is capable of grinding the bones as well for the compost. Does any one have any suggestions on a good one?
    I'm also looking for a vacuum sealer for storage.. I'd like one capable of sealing a whole chicken (5 lbs or so). any input would be great.

Thanks!

2. seanengler

seanengler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    Can't help with the grinder, however I do have a FoodSaver vacuum sealer, got it at Costco for $60. I think it's one of the lower end ones they make, but I've been super happy with it. I've packed tons of meat in it at this point and it still works great. I've done large beef cuts, whole chickens, you name it.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't use a grinder, so can't help you there.

I have pressure cooked roosters over a year old and they've been fine to eat.

I use a Food Saver also, works great.

4. Maeschak

Maeschak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I use a FoodSaver from Sam's club. Whole chickens are no problem but bags will become expensive when using them for whole chickens. So I have started parting my birds before vacuum sealing and freezing, which really saves on bags and space. I have had several models of FoodSavers over the years and all could do a whole chicken so you can't go wrong.

I have also just started pressure canning chicken and am no longer going to freeze older birds (or grind it up) because pressure canning them works so much better (and cheaper in the long run). Not only do you not have to wait until rigor passes before canning the chicken meat, but old birds come out tender and the meat is cooked/seasoned/ready to eat in one shot. I was a bit skeptical before I tried canning older chickens- but I am now a complete convert.

Then, after canning your older bird meat, you can take the carcasses and pressure cook them to make the quickest and best chicken stock around which also softens the bones immensely. Then I just throw the soft bones into my compost 'as is.' You could give that a try if you can't find a grinder quickly enough.

Good luck on your endeavor!

1 person likes this.
  5. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    You're going to wear blades out in a hurry trying to grind bones in any consumer-grade grinder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by