Meat guinea pigs? (Cuy)

ChubbyCabra

Hatching
May 5, 2020
Hi, I'm looking for information in breeding guinea pigs for meat as a means to feed my family. I've been doing as much research as I can with a newborn on my lap (lol) but I can't find the answers to a couple questions and I'm wondering if anyone here can help.

This would be my first venture into animal breeding and husbandry. I have had pets as a child, but no animals for meat/breeding. Any information and resources are greatly appreciated!

Here are my questions:

- how do I keep track of generics/parentage? Ear tags? I don't want to accidentally inbreed. How closely can generations breed without inbreeding? (I found with mice you don't breed within 20 generations, but couldn't find the same info on guinea pigs)

- how many cuy do I need to start a sustainable breeding colony? I heard 1 male to 3-4 females. If I had two of these groups, would that get me started and be enough genetic variety? I'd eventually like to have about 20 active breeders at a given time.

- how often should I swap out my breeders for younger guinea pigs? I know females should not breed before about 5 months old. But when should breeders retire?

- I know they can produce litters about every 3-4 months, but should sows have a break between litters? If so, for how long?

Thank you for any information or if you can point me in the direction of any resources I would greatly appreciate it!

Hi, I'm looking for information in breeding guinea pigs for meat as a means to feed my family. I've been doing as much research as I can with a newborn on my lap (lol) but I can't find the answers to a couple questions and I'm wondering if anyone here can help.

This would be my first venture into animal breeding and husbandry. I have had pets as a child, but no animals for meat/breeding. Any information and resources are greatly appreciated!

Here are my questions:

- how do I keep track of generics/parentage? Ear tags? I don't want to accidentally inbreed. How closely can generations breed without inbreeding? (I found with mice you don't breed within 20 generations, but couldn't find the same info on guinea pigs)

- how many cuy do I need to start a sustainable breeding colony? I heard 1 male to 3-4 females. If I had two of these groups, would that get me started and be enough genetic variety? I'd eventually like to have about 20 active breeders at a given time.

- how often should I swap out my breeders for younger guinea pigs? I know females should not breed before about 5 months old. But when should breeders retire?

- I know they can produce litters about every 3-4 months, but should sows have a break between litters? If so, for how long?

Thank you for any information or if you can point me in the direction of any resources I would greatly appreciate it!
Did you ever get started with Guinea pigs? I’m also looking into it but not finding good options.

Back
Top Bottom