Meat hens: Questions from a newbie!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BYCforlife, Mar 18, 2017.

1. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

I am getting sixteen meat hens next month. I was hoping to keep them in a bin in my garage for a while, then moving them to a heated, bigger enclosure once they are a little more care-free. After that, I was planning on moving them outside. Is this a good method, or should I do something different? I also hear they can get hurt easily, so I was wondering when I can move them outside?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you getting Cornish Cross or the slower growing "ranger" type of meat birds?

3. BYCforlife

I am not sure, I was thinking half and half, but that's my idea. I am not sure which is better... Maybe some help? :)

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I would encourage you to pay a visit to the meat bird form here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc -- not only can you see some of the different ways folks opt to brood and raise their meaties, you can also read a bit about the various types of meat birds to see which fits your goals best.
    Cornish cross are some very fast growing birds (being at processing age in weeks) and can quickly outgrow most "bin" type brooders. Additionally, depending on management (traditional rapid growth or more pasture based slower growth, traditional feed vs. fermented feed, etc), they can generate a stink like nothing you've ever smelled before. What is your general location? I would lean towards a shed for brooding or a tractor based approach - which ever is most readily available for you to use, especially initially while supplemental warmth is needed.

1 person likes this.
  5. BYCforlife

I am going to build a shelter/shed. I decided I didn't need insulation because I am (of course) not keeping them over the winter.
    I am in Canada. We keep our garage at 8 degrees Celsius, or about 47 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Okay, I will check out the link you showed me. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by