Meat in poultry feed

saysfaa

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
I'm looking for regulations in the US about meat in poultry feeds. Either state or federal. I assumed it was not allowed but in a short search, I'm finding regulations that ban meat limit the ban to only ruminants. I hoped someone might have a reference handy.

Meat absolutely IS allowed in poultry feeds here in the US, @saysfaa (at least, at the federal level) - as you and I both know, its very difficult to make a nutritionally complete feed without using some animal source - porcine blood meal, chicken by-product meal, fish meal, crab or shrimp meal, insect meals, even (properly processed) feather meals. The use of "meat scraps" has been banned by the FDA - but "meat scraps" is a far more generic, far less "certain" descriptor of contents.

Its probably more accurate to think of it not as the FDA banning "meat scraps", but rather more tightly defining what can and can not be included. Largely, I suspect, for reasons associated with transmission of food born illness.

I've not dug deeply into the Federal Register, but this is a decent place to start in layman's terms, with links to similar resources.

This is the Harvard Law PDF it mentions

And this is the relevant Statute (the 2011 Food Modernization Act)[Summary]

[Full Text]

And the FDA's page on Animal Feed

Hope these help - I need to get to work on the farm today. back this evening.

Doesn’t really answer the question, but my uncle has been feeding his horde of chickens raw ground meat since he was a kid. He packs medication inside and makes it into a ball.

Chickens are definitely not vegetarians by choice. They are little velociraptors who would choose beef chili over oatmeal every day of the week. A varied diet including animal protein is good for them. Have you ever seen them swallow a frog whole? :lau :sick
NOT as entertaining as watching what our little dinosaurs will do to a mother mouse and her babies when she and they are startled away from a feed bag.

Possibly the only time my chickens were uninterested in the hole in the feed bag.

But "frog popping" is a near third. I like "snake stomping" for second. Tastes vary.

NOT as entertaining as watching what our little dinosaurs will do to a mother mouse and her babies when she and they are startled away from a feed bag.

Possibly the only time my chickens were uninterested in the hole in the feed bag.

But "frog popping" is a near third. I like "snake stomping" for second. Tastes vary.
mouse massacre lol and gross.

Years after I got chickens I rewatched Jurassic Park and I was like "OMG look how they made their faces and bodies move - they are 100% chickens" :lau

Back
Top Bottom