Meat inside of egg yolk?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boykin2010, Aug 15, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Long story short, i have been getting eggs from new hen that i got and when you crack the egg open it has what looks like a spot of meat in it. I sell eggs to friends and family and I dont want to give them eggs with that thing in it because i dont want them to think it is something bad. Should you not eat this egg with the spot in it?
    I dont have any roosters, just hens. So i know it isnt fertile eggs or something like that.
    Please let me know if you know what this is because i have been throwing out the eggs I get from this hen.
    Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sometimes there are problems in the oviduct and as eggs are developing pieces of tissue slough off or blood is enclosed in the egg causing blood spots or meat spots in the eggs. It's a fairly common problem and in large scale production such eggs are candled out and used for baking. Hopefully once she settles in at your place this problem will go away.

3. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I've also heard that sometimes this happens if the nesting boxes are too high and the birds have to jump in and out of them. Just a thought.

If this doesn't sound like your scenario, you'd probably best keeping the eggs for your own use (since silly little things like that don't gross out a real chicken person) [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. celticbird

celticbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    silver city
    The above comments sound rite to me....however if she is a new hen she could have possibly contacted a rooster before u got her I've had hens stay fertile for over a month!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Meat and blood spots have absolutely nothing to do with the presence of a rooster.

6. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    My nesting boxes are kinda high.... HMMMMMM
    Are yall saying that is safe to eat the eggs with meat spots?
    I have had this hen i think 3 weeks
    Thank you all for your help

7. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Yep, they are perfectly good to eat. Sometimes the little meat spot makes people queasy, but alas, it is only chicken [​IMG]

I just scoop it out if I see it and continue cooking it like nothing was there [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by