Meat processing plants in Indiana that do chickens?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by heksa, Sep 16, 2010.

1. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Hi, I got 4 EE roosters (11 weeks old) that I would like to get rid of. I tried Craigslist with no luck so far.
    It looks like I will have to eat them. But the is no way I can get myself to do the deed (my husband is a wuss as well [​IMG]).

Does anyone knows of a processing plant that will do it for me in Indiana (south or middle)?
    Or have other ideas how to get rid of them?

2. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
  3. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Quote:Thank you very much!
    Cambridge City may be a little too far to take 4 birds for processing, but it gives me an idea to look for poultry farms.
    What is the minimum number of birds you can bring?

4. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Thanks for the information. I will have to call them to see if they would do ducks. I have tons of ducks. I was going to try to do it myself, but I have never killed anything before.

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thanks, augustmomx2, for that info. I made a Word document of your post. I'll need it if/when I raise some meat birds.
    BTW, Cambridge City is 50+ miles east of Indianapolis, e.g.:
    1. Head east toward E Market St
    0.1 mi
    2. Exit the traffic circle onto N Meridian St
    302 ft
    3. Turn right at E Ohio St
    0.8 mi
    4. Continue onto N Pine St
    0.3 mi
    5. Take the ramp onto I-70 E
    54.6 mi

6. Take exit 137 for IN-1 toward Hagerstown/Connersville
    0.3 mi
    7. Turn right at IN-1 S
    2.8 mi
    8. Turn right at Historic National Rd/E Main St/E National Rd
    0.9 mi

Cambridge City, IN

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  6. IonaFarm

IonaFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    I have been to their place. Easy to get to off of I 70. Very nice people. They were processing when I was there. Very clean and organized. No ugly smells. If you call leave a message and they return calls after their work day is done.

I wanted to see the facility before I made a final decision on raising meat birds for the first time. I don't think I can process. But I've not seen it done in person, only videos. Meaties will have to wait till next year.

Anyone in the Indy area: if your going to process soon I would like to watch or maybe even help.

While I was there I purchased frozen birds that they had raised and processed. I thawed and cooked one that weekend. Goooood!!! Lots of meat and moist. Thats the taste I was looking for that is not in a store bought bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by