meat rabbit keeping info

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FarmFanatic, Mar 14, 2015.

1. FarmFanatic

FarmFanatic New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    Hello, I just wanted some adivice from experienced rabbit keepers. Also, what breed do ya'll prefer. I will be gettingsome in a year in the meantime tho, i wantedto get some extra advice. thanks.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    For meat, my favorite breed would most likely be the new zealands. I have kept other rabbits for meat too though.
    Californians: right up there with new zealands, but more expensive to purchase (at least where i am)
    americans: really like these rabbits, but not as much meat as the first 2
    Flemish: slow growers, and not really much more meat than the others, no very economical. I did mix them with the NZ's and they were pretty good meat rabbits.
    Haliquin: i bred these as pets, but used extra as meat rabbits and were a little small.
    also raise dutch, angora, and lops as pet/show rabbits not for meat. :)
    any specific questions?

3. FarmFanatic

FarmFanatic New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    the NZ,s and califiorna were my top choices.so thanks for the info those are definites now! how many times do you breed your does a year?

4. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i usually breed the doe, let her raise the babies to 2 months old, then give her a month to rest before i breed her again. i don't breed more than 3 times a year because it keeps them healthier...some of the show rabbits only get breed once a year.

5. FarmFanatic

FarmFanatic New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    great thx

6. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    sure :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by