Meat Rabbits

yoker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
What is the best breed for meat Rabbits?
Can you keep them on grass in the summer?

That is funny you ask that, my rabbit meat came today. Go on-line and look under Ardeng Rabbit Meat For Sale (use search). They sell rabbits and rabbit meat so you should be able to get a good idea.

Once I get my birds all set up, I am going to make a pen for rabbits to allow me my own rabbit meat. I was going to have mine on grass, so keep me posted as to what you find out.

New Zealand white (spelling sucks I know) or californians. I stay away from Flemish giants, or any of their hybrids because their bone/meat ratio is so much higher. I love the cross with the NZW & Cal's because they dress out nice and quick.

I like the Silver fox, hard to find in some areas but they are big sweet rabits and their meat to bone ratio is soposed to be really good, and their pelts are to die for. I will be breeding my first litter in about anouther month and cant wait.

They should not be on grass all winter. From what I understand, rabbits eat mostly roots and not the actual greens. That is why lettuce and such will give them dirahea. I would go with a good quality pellet food. This will give them all the nutrients they need to produce quality litters and maintain their health. If you give them good pellets also you don't have to add much hay. The hay is for their teeth and cleaning their gut. I use it as a treat every couple of days.

New Zealand Whites and Californians are the way to go - they have the best meat to bone ratios. They have a long history of great production - why reinvent the wheel? I have NZWs because that's what was available in my area and they're great.

A lot of people choose to colony raise or pasture raise their rabbits - a grass diet can meet most of their needs - you may need to add some mineral supplements. Too many greens can give them diarrhea - so you need to introduce the diet slowly. They love to dig - so you need to watch that they don't start tunnelling everywhere. Rabbits are vulnerable to coccidia and being on the ground makes them more likely to come in contact with it.

I chose to raise mine in all-wire cages up high off the ground and feed a pelleted diet.

Thanks
So I could have the butcher ones on grass in the summer and bring them in during winter. I would feed them pellets to. the breeders would be in wire cages and maybe on the ground for a little while.
Are palominos good? I like the color.

I like the californians, too. They produce well, taste great, and seem to handle the heat here pretty well. I am also trying out a champagne d' argent doe right now. The breeder claims they are pretty close to the calis so I decided to try one just b/c the color is kind of fun. I really enjoy the rabbits.

Ok is that; you enjoy them as pets, or on your plate?
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom