Meat rabbits

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
I was thinking of getting some rabbits for meat. Any suggestion on good food converting breeds? Best flavored? How long till i can butcher them? Hutch designs? All pics welcome.

New Zealands and Californians are the best meat breed. Very cost effective meat to raise, plus you can tan the hides. I've been wanting them forever, but waiting patiently for hubby to make renos to the barn so i have room.

New Zealands and californians are best, since they are common, and small boned for the size. We breed Cali bucks with NZ does to get fast growing and meaty fryers by 10 weeks.

Look for does who throw large litters wth high litter survivability. Check out the breeding records too.

The food conversion is good, especially the meat to bone ratio which rex's are large boned and will not get the weight gain of meat like others mentioned.

Spend a little more money to purchase quality does and bucks, as a poor performer eats as much as a winner will, and that is where you make good on feed conversion at the end of the year.

Good luck and let me know if you have other questions.

Email me if you want to see pics and cage layout.

I looked up meat rabbits and both those breeds come up. I found Silver Fox Rabbits. They weigh 9-12lbs, make good fryers that are 65% meat, are good mothers, and have huge litters. I'm very interested in these. Does anyone have info on these? If i can't get SFRs i'll probably get Calis because i have a friend who breeds those. Thanks Everyone, keep the info coming
big_smile.png

Silver Fox's are somewhat rare and are usually fairly pricey. Calis can be tempermental breeders. IMHO the NZ is the best breed for the money, especially for beginners.

Back
Top Bottom