Meat smoking, sausage making and curing.

Meat Hunter

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
Have been smoking meats and making my own sausage for a few years now. An absolutely addicting hobby.
Make my own pastrami, bacon, sausage of all kinds. Smoke ribs, pork butts, even smoked corn and cabbage.
Here are few of the things I have done in the past.

First, is a Maple cured pork belly bacon.

Raw, before any flavor or cures added.
DSC04698.jpg

After a few hours of cold smoking.
DSC04733.jpg

One of the slabs sliced up and ready to be vac sealed and into the freezer. Store bought aint' got nuthin on this stuff.
DSC04735.jpg

Leg of lamb, rolled up with Basil, garlic, celery leaves and Feta cheese.
DSC04719.jpg

Rolled up and secured with netting.
DSC04720.jpg

Several hours in the smoker.
DSC04725.jpg

Sliced shot.
DSC04726.jpg

Smoked and fermented summer sausage. Ground pork and venison in meat tub.
DSC04714.jpg

A variety of spices and cure.
DSC04710.jpg

Casings filled with my sausage stuffer, smoked and cooling off a while.
DSC04721.jpg

Cut away section. For this particular recipe, I used was it called "Leaf Lard". That is the big white pieces you see, which is a very rich tasting fat. Highly sought after for its flavor. Great when used in pie crusts.
DSC04715.jpg

Venison pastrami.
Three nice roasts from some of the does my kids harvested.
DSC03916.jpg

Rubbed down with various spices/herbs and let sit for about 10 days.
DSC03918.jpg

After a few hours in the smoker, and time to rest, sliced it.
DSC03933.jpg

This went great with some homemade Rye, home canned kraut and swiss cheese.

Ribs on the smoker.
DSC03617.jpg

DSC03619.jpg

DSC03618.jpg

Orange and Lemon zest smoked Salmon.
fff-2.jpg

Some rubbed down pork butts sittin in the smoker. Homemade beans below catch the dripping and make for some out of this world eating.
DSC04190.jpg

Pork butts almost done.
DSC04195.jpg

Pork done.
DSC04198.jpg

Pulled pork.
DSC04200.jpg

The beans. My god these things are sooooo good, they should be illegal.
lol.png

DSC04164.jpg

Smoked cheese. No more paying store prices.
DSC03817.jpg

Sealed and mellowing.
DSC03818.jpg

Venison loin with wild hen of the woods mushrooms and cheese, rolled up in a blanket of pork sausage and wrapped with a bacon weave, then smoked. We call these "Fatties"
DSC03732.jpg

DSC03735.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

Smoked cored cabbage.
DSC03665.jpg

DSC03666.jpg

Well that just ONE of my hobbies and I have omitted many of the steps in each of these to save space and time, but just wanted to show you what the basics and outcomes were. Hope you enjoyed looking at this as much as I like eating em.

Its a great hobby that is very very addicting. If you have any questions on smoking meat, just shoot me a pm and I'll help ya out the best I can.

Todd

edited to remove link

Last edited by a moderator:
What's in the middle of your smoked cabbage? I'm always looking for a side dish to throw in the smoker. I just started smoking a year ago and I'm jealous.

Love the look of that loaf with bacon woven over it!

Been messing with curing and smoking here too the last few months.

Bacon has been huge success, did three country hams last week that came out well. Corned beef, vennison and cured ribs worked well too. Found a salami that is very nice, should make another batch.

Still working on getting a pastrami I like and have not hit on pepperoni that is exactly what I want, but have not yet set up to do a true fermented pepperoni. Going to try a cured chicken maybe this weekend, just going to give it a couple days of wet cure with seasoning, salt and nitrite and then maybe fry it whole or bbq.

WOW ! That all looks fabulous...
What type of smoker do you use? charcoal, propane, electric?

My hubby does a pulled pork that is to die for.
I created a homemade bar-b-que sauce recipe to go with the pulled pork.
So far everyone who has tried it loves it.

He is still working on getting the ribs perfect - he doesn't like his so much, but I love them.

His mom wouldn't eat his smoked stuff because "it is still pink, it is raw, you need to cook it longer". It took him about a year to convince her that the pink was smoke flavor and not raw meat.

He is looking into getting a better smoker, right now he has a horizontal charcoal smoker that is alittle hard to control the temperature in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my, I wish I could do these things!! I would love to make my own bacon!

I will follow this thread from now on!

Any chance on sharing recipes for you sauage?

Back
Top Bottom