Meat Spots and Feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TaysChicks, Dec 8, 2012.

1. TaysChicks

TaysChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    I have a couple hens that just started laying, Orpingtons. I've had about 5 eggs now over the last few weeks, but every one of them have had meet spots. Not sure if one's laying or both.
    I;ve read on here that too much protein in the feed could cause this. I do give them laying feed, but, more so cracked corn to beef em up for winter (Minnesota). They free range, as well.
    Could cracked corn cause meat spots too? Or just hte high protein? I LOOKED THEY ARE ON 16% PROTEIN.
    I REALLLLY want eggs. I've been excited for this, but, can't get past the meat spots. They are incredibly small... But, still there no less!
    They look absolutely yummy otherwise. Great size yolk and orange! Please any help in how to help them lay better eggs would be great!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had problems with meat/blood spots and have always heard that it was seasonal and hereditary... i.e. something you can't control. If you don't like the looks of them you can always crack the egg into a bowl and fish them out before using the egg in anything? Sorry I can't give any advice on how to get rid of them.

3. TaysChicks

Jul 7, 2012
    Uhhhh.... That's what I was fearing. Thanks for you reply.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If they are young hens, sometimes it takes them awhile for their system to work the kinks out. You will see some funny stuff from brand new layers.

16% protein is about as low as you want to go with their feed. They must have the building block materials in order to make eggs. That means they need protein and calcium. They can't make eggs out of thin air.

The corn that you are giving them they will use to make body fat. That's fine during the winter in a very cold climate where they can use the extra calories, but keep the amount of corn down to a reasonable part of their diet. Think of it as chicken candy and the hens need to eat their good food before they get their dessert.

5. TaysChicks

Jul 7, 2012
    Thanks for the info! Will the 16%protein layers feed be enough, outside of the rare occasional table scraps. Then some corn at night maybe...? They seem too skinny for the winter... Not sure how big 8month chickens should be??? I was also considering putting a few drops of some pills we got from Walmart- Flaxseed/fish/borage oil capsules. Read its good for em... ??? They don't seem to be eating too much of the greens I've given them. The only thing I've seen them attack was cooked turkey bone, scrambled eggs (sounds bad), cottage cheese. I'm gonna get pumpkin seeds soon, then cut the capsules out.
    Again, thanks everyone. I love this community of great people and advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by