meat spots from pullet?

jhitson

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 26, 2011
110282_2011-11-15_11-58-24_81.jpg

I am getting some eggs lately with "meat spots" in the egg white. The hens I have are all supposed to be from this years spring hatch.
Everything I have read suggests that this would be more common in older hens. Any thoughts? Could this be from a hen just starting to lay?
I have had two or three of these in the last week or two. I think I have a Black Australorp that has just started to lay and these may be her first eggs. They could also belong to a Black Sex Link hen who could be a little older but is supposed to be around 7 months old.

Are these eggs safe to eat and could they suggest any disease?

Thanks

I have all pullets raised em myself this year, had a batch in March, and May all are now laying and sometimes I get 1 or 2 of those, so I don't think it's just older hens.
Not aware of diseases related to this, and I eat mine, I just pick it out, or if I can't I scramble em up for the chickens.

Last edited:
I have had some type of respiratory thing being passed through my flock. I didn't know if that could be related to this.
There have never been more than one of these a day so I believe they are coming from one hen. Maybe her body is just getting use to laying and it will go away. That is what I am hoping for.

I've no idea what the 'spots' that are sometimes in eggs are from, but I *can* say, from my own experience, that every one of those eggs tasted just fine and unless a few of them are some kind of slow-acting poison or something (as in taking 25+ years!), I wouldn't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom