Meat spots in Copper Maran eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jzervas92, Nov 18, 2016.

1. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Hi everyone, my black copper maran has always seemed to lay eggs with meat spots in it. Sometimes it a lot sometimes it's a little but it always seems like she lays an egg with an imperfection inside it. I really don't think I've ever gotten an egg without something in it, she's a little over a year old now.I was wondering if I've been doing anything wrong that would be causing this or if there was anything I can do to prevent these meat spots from happening. She's a big girl but I don't give them excess treats and they eat fruits and vegetables. I also rotate probiotics, vitamins, and apple cider vinegar in their water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I have read that it's genetic, and some hens just lay eggs with meat spots. Seems to be common in BCM.

Mine has meat spots too, and I don't feed her or treat her any differently than the rest of the flock. She's my only hen that does that.

3. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Thank you for the response. She's my only hen that does it too. I was getting concerned because it seems to happen a lot, but she acts completely normal so I'm sure everything is fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by