Meat spots related to weather?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Archae, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Archae

Archae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Utah
    I am more of a lurker on this forum and even though I registered months ago I don't talk as much as I could here. I have 4 chickens and 3 of them for the last week and a half have been having meat spots in their eggs on a regularly at least every other egg. It is beginning to get annoying. I was wondering if it could be because of the cold snap that we have been having or is something else more likely-- if it is something else what are the possibilities and what can be done?

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    As far as I know from reading here on BYC, a meat spot is nothing more than a hiccup in the reproduction process. Nothing really that you can do about it. Your theory does make since with the weather. It may be just a coincidence, but mine have had more meat spots since it got cold as well. And I have hens ranging in age from new layer to seasoned veteran. And it could also be because mine just started laying again after a few months of going though a molt. Hence, the hiccup of just getting started again and getting it worked back out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by