Meat spots

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LEOW2012, Nov 13, 2016.

1. LEOW2012

LEOW2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Hey yall! I have 8 RIR and 2 Gold sex link hens that are about 8 months old now and have been laying for a while now. I'm still getting a ton of meat spots and blood spots in the eggs. I'd say about 60% of the eggs have some sort of blood related defect. Is that normal? It's getting to a point where my friends and family don't want to use my eggs cause it grosses them out.

They are free range with layena pellets with oyster shell if that helps.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That seemed high to me so I did a google search. Information I read suggested an incidence of 3 % to 30% with the incidence being higher in brown eggs. I could not come up with a probable cause other than that strain of bird may have some relationship to the problem. Don't tell your friends and family that in commercial production these eggs are candled out and used in bakery products - so they are probably eating them anyway.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes it's genetic, and a hen will always lay eggs with some gunk in them. What I have found is flighty birds and those that fly around tend to get more blood spots in their eggs, which are usually from ruptured blood vessels. So keeping a flock calm and quite can help cut down on many occurrences.

4. LEOW2012

LEOW2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Ok. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No ....DO tell them [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. jessif

jessif Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    I wonder if you are onto something. I am having a big issue with meat spots in my RIRs. My roost are high in my coops and they jump/flutter down in the morning. I may try lowering them. Thanks for that info!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by