Meat to feed VS. Chickens & cost....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by itsy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Do you folks also raise meat chickens?

Is the cost/feed to dressed meat ratio better for quail? Considering that they get to an edible weight so quickly - is money better spent with them?

I'm talking about quail so much, I think I'm going to drive my BF nutty [​IMG] His biggest argument against them is that we ate quail ONCE at a restaurant and the skin wasn't crispy at all. He doesn't want a bird with floppy, jello-fatty skin.

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I raised a few rounds of meaties, I like quail better. They don't eat as much and taste better. I don't know if they are more efficient, but they taste good. It's really not worth plucking them. I just skin them.

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Hey Annie,
    I dont think your gonna beat cornish X on $ per lb. I just dont think quail can compete on that level. But the quail are hard to beat in the cute and fun factor. I'v been do'in some surf'n on the meat birds as you surely already have too. 8 week grow out and 5 to 7 lb of chicken is gonna beat any quail. Nuth'in quailish ,but cournix, can grow out that quick that I know of. But the cots are just fun birds to have around. Then theres the unique factor, aint many folks got quail, hell ya cant throw your hat down with hit'n a chicken!! Getcha some quail Lady! Bill

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I hate Cornish X's, they crap a ton. I had a 10 pound feeder hanging about 3 inches from the ground. They were so lazy that they laid down and ate feed out of the top.
    the only way to make them walk is to throw a piece of bread on the other side of the cage.

5. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    You guys have me laughin. It's always a good laugh in the quail forum!!!!!!!!!!!

I have Red Broilers (freedom ranger type) from Ideal. I'm happy with them so far. They're almost at the 5 week mark, but we still have a way to go yet. With this heat, they're eating less. I don't find them to be overly lazy, but they do like to lay down while they eat out of the feeder. [​IMG] I moved their tractor under a big tree today. It's going to be HOT tomorrow and the next - so I don't want my chicken fried too early.

Yeah yeah yeah, I need the quail!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe after my incubator hatches out (by beginning of July).

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Annie Do A Byc Search For This Topic... Seems To Me There Was Another String About It Last Yr?

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard the freedom ranger tasted better

8. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

than the cornish

9. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:Shoulda done that first, JJ! I found it [​IMG] https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=431319

You
    know what comes cheaper than both? A gal on Craigslist has 10 Barred Rock roosters up for free - organic! I may pick em up if they're still available. Either way - I've got reading to do with that link I posted.

TY!

10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    good read,

I remember reading somewhere, so take it with some rock salt, it takes 3 pounds of feed to make a pound of chicken eggs. It takes 2 pounds of feed to make a pound of Quail eggs.
    I believe (.02) Quail are more consistent and efficient egg producers.

and btw Itsy, nice find on the crgslist. also, "we" would prolly be sending ya Quail eggs for freeskidoodle, as part of the Quail Lab 2012 (ol' whitecoats) thread we are secretly planning... so, put it on the calendar [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by