Meat trimmings - raw or cooked?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by swordgeek, Sep 24, 2010.

1. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    This has probably been posted before, but I'm not coming up with anything definitive. I just trimmed all fat and sinew off a big leg of lamb, and kept a baggie filled with all the trimmings. I figured I could feed my birds a little over time - particularly over the winter, when they might like the fat.

My question is, do I give it to them raw, or cook it somehow? And if cooked, what's the best way? Any help would be appreciated!

2. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    My dad always saves me the scraps from when he butchers deer. I have always given it a quick boil. I don't think I have ever given raw meat. It probably doesn't matter though. Just whatever you prefer.

Every Thanksgiving and Christmas my chooks get the turkey carcass and they love it!

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:x2 I would think giving it a quick boil would be a harmless idea. But chickens will also eat mice, and any other small animals they can get a hold of, totally raw [​IMG] but better safe then sorry so I probably would boil the raw meat. [​IMG] I hope they enjoy it! My girls LOVE steak, my mom get's mad because I always save them a little bit, even if it is good quality meat lol I spoil my girls [​IMG]

4. swordgeek

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Thanks! Though I know they eat mice and frogs and salamanders and whatnot raw (salamander ceviche?) I didn't know if cooking was a good idea. Spouse accused me of leaving too much meat on the fat for their dining pleasure. He's lucky I'm not braising the trimmings with garlic and rosemary, some shallots, and a little port...

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I know my chooks have been known to chow down on a mouse that wasn't fast enough in the past, but I usually give the meat scraps a quick boil first. [​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. hillfarm

hillfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Central Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] Now that's love.

8. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we make out own suet blocks for the birds and use uncooked fat from beef mixed with seeds and scratch.. haven't had any problems with the raw fat and meat
    [​IMG]

9. swordgeek

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    What a great idea! I've thought about making my own suet blocks, but never had the nerve. Thanks for the push. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by