Meat turkeys

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SillyMe, Jan 21, 2008.

1. SillyMe

SillyMe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    I am going to by my birds in march/ april from McMurry.
    If I buy some turkeys can I cook them for the 2008 holidays? Or will they be too tough to eat by then?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    They should be perfect by that time. The longer you wait to butcher, the bigger they get. Really, you'd just butcher at the right time and freeze them until the holidays.

3. nadams4

nadams4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    Ohio
    What is the best type of turkey to get if raising it to butcher for "the holiday" with lots of guests??

4. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    broad breasted bronze or broad breasted white. Unless you want to venture into the heritage breeds, that is. [​IMG] It's all a matter of personal preference.

5. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Only get the double breasted white or bronze if you want a good eating turkey for many people. We butchered 3 heratage toms this last November and there really wasnt a lot of meat on them. You really need to get a meat turkey for goooood eats... They will fatten up quick and be great. Also a double breasted white poult is about 3.50 compaired to a royal palm poult at 8.50. Heritage are more for looks, beautiful eye candy for your farm and the eggs. whites and bronzes are more for eating. I think I am going to raise about 5 to 10 this year for butchering on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Jenn

6. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Not to mention the BBW & BBB are easier to find than heritage turkeys.

7. AprilAWZ

AprilAWZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    northeastern MN
    Quote:Which heritage breed did you butcher last year?

8. nadams4

nadams4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks, very helpful!

Do you buy them as juvenile poults or day old chicks?

I have found that the chicks are much cheaper, but harder to get started...

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I did bourbon reds for this past thanksgiving - heritage breed. They were good but they look more like a big chicken instead of those big breasted turkeys we are accustomed to at the grocery stores.

My former inlaws had the bronze turkeys - gorgeous birds! I love to watch the toms strut!

10. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I always got day olds, or older because sometimes they would have been in the bin at the farm & ranch store for longer (sometimes even a week!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by