Meatie Chicks are here! *pics*

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by itsy, Jun 16, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    You guys getting sick of my posts yet? [​IMG]

Here are my new "Red Broiler" chicks from Ideal. I ordered 14 and was sent 15 with one DOA. They're now in the brooder, walking about like normal chicks. They drank and ate. I find it interesting that a couple of the chicks have black striping.

[​IMG]

This next shot is just cute:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    off on an adventure! have fun with them [​IMG]

3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks, Katy!

I just nearly had a heart attack, though. With much confusion and discussion with the girls at my local feed store - I picked up a bag of broiler starter crumbles. I'm going to have to send an email to them to get an exact list and price of the poultry feed they stock. No one there knows what they're talking about. I ended up buying a 25lb bag of Nature's Best Organic. It's a 20% feed. I paid $19.99!!! [​IMG]

My normal 50lb layer bag is $11!

After I paid and went out back to pick the bag up - I found out they sell quite a few other types of unmedicated starter at a lower price. I could have gone back in - but after that lengthy discussion, I didn't have any more patience. That's me: Thick headed and lacking patience.

4. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    that last pic is my favorite! What cute little nuggets..
    Keep us updated on how it goes, I am still trying to decide if I want to try broilers or just keep using my culls and extra roos.

5. kristen_k

kristen_k Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Mason City, Nebraska
    Can you keep me posted on your adventure? I just got finished with my CX's and I was looking into buying some red broilers next spring to try something different (don't get me wrong, I love CX's, doing another batch this fall) I'm curious to see if they dress out differently from CX's.

ps. the chicks are adorable!!!

Thanks,
    Kristen

6. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    My pleasure to update. [​IMG] I'll try to weigh everyone regularly and keep a record of my feed. Depending on how large they get - I might hang on to a couple females to breed with my New Hampshire Red.

7. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I'm really curious how things go with the Red's also!! I too love my Cornish but always open to something new.

Those chicks are adorable!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by