Meatie housing question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sheetmetalpete, Aug 23, 2010.

1. sheetmetalpete

sheetmetalpete In the Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I've reading a lot of posts here on housing solutions but still have a question. I raised about 80 of them this year in my coop/run. Since then my egg layers have laid claim (pun not necessarily intended) to the coop & run.

How would you house 100 or 200 broilers? Coop & run or tractor(s)? I like the idea of a tractor but I live in Minnesota. How much does the colder climate impact meaties in a tractor?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    are you going to try to raise them in the winter?

3. sheetmetalpete

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Sorry - not in the winter. Spring/summer.

4. buckeyejerseygiants

buckeyejerseygiants In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    We raise ours in tractors and we'll never go back to coop housing! We move them 2-3 times a day. The birds themselves stay much cleaner and there is so much less poop and stink to deal with. I don't think the tractor method would fair well in a good snowfall, so we don't raise ours in the winter. That said, it usually never goes below 40 in the spring/fall when we're raising them so I don't know that I could comment as per MN's definition of "cold." We usually put a few extra in on the first and last batches (although I'm not sure that it would matter if we didn't) and they generate enough body heat together that we've never had a problem.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I just finished up my Cornish Cross birds. They got so fat, I am glad I had them on the ground because they would never have been able to get inside a coop. I just made a make shift tractor (sorta). 8' x 8' with hardware cloth and 2x4s (though 2x2s would be better). I covered the top with used corrugated tin. Laid 2x4s down for them to roost on, which they rarely used. I could move it (with help from DS) without too much trouble. I moved it every 4 or 5 days. Mine free ranged, but didn't go far, and were housed here from the first week til butcher. They were not crowded. I had 37 in here.

[​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    This my tractor 10X10 cheap easy to build can be moved at any time by just me. Was perfect for 25 birds. I had to bungie it to car wheels when we had big winds. The tarp really provided some solar warmth in the cooler months. If I were going to raise 100 CX's I would make four of these and call it done!
    I might as well mention now, that's not feathers all over the ground that's from the cotton wood trees. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sheetmetalpete

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Thanks folks.

After seeing your responses, I'm leaning towards a couple of 10x10 tractors and raising them in batches if I need large quantities.

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Hey I just realized you only have three posts!
    WELCOME TO BYC!!!! [​IMG]

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:AHHH! Cotton wood trees! We have one that makes it look like snow here.

10. sheetmetalpete

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Quote:True, but I'm a long time lurker. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by