meatie suicides . . .

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Mar 22, 2011.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    so I have 100 meaties right now, well I did last week now I have 90 [​IMG]

week one I had them in this awesome wooden brooder with a wire bottom that woodenanimal made.

I had a quart size waterer in each corner, feeder in the middle and a light on each side.
    well right at the end of week one and no lossses, I got the bright idea to fill the waterers with warm water . . . 15 minutes later my daughter went out to the pump house (where they were kept) and hurried back inside to get me . . . disaster! they were all trying to hot tub it in the warm water. My daughter blow dried four back to life, but we lost 10. 10 losses from my rediculous mistake - that's two months worth of chicken dinners for us.

Just thought I would share in hopes of preventing it happening to someone else.

2. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Oh, Katie! I'm SOOO sorry this happened to you! I've given my grown chickens warm water when it is freezing,, and would have assumed I could do it with babies, too. Actually, I'm babysitting someone else's chicks tomorrow. I might have put warm water in their waterer (a snowstorm is forecast) if I hadn't read this so thank you for posting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by